April 12, 2013

Corn Dogs

Last week Allison had pneumonia and I had truly terrible allergies. My husband was wonderful over the weekend, letting me rest and have some quiet time so I can face this week with my energetic toddler. As a treat for all of us I made corn dogs for lunch on Sunday. Kevin gets to take credit for this since he was looking over my shoulder at Pinterest Saturday night and said "you should make that".

Recipe (adapted from www.chef-in-training.com):
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper (or to taste)
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp honey
1 package hot dogs
2 cups vegetable oil for frying (this is approx, depends on size of your pan, need about 2 inches depth for oil)

1. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat until 350, or until a drop of batter will sizzle and brown.  This will take several minutes.
2 While oil heats combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl - cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, sugar, and baking powder
3. Add in milk, egg and honey, whisking to combine
4. Cut hot dogs into halves or thirds (your preference)
5. Dip each hot dog piece into the batter, making sure to cover completely, and place into hot oil 1 at a time.  
6. Cook in batches (I had 4-5 pieces cooking per batch) until golden brown and delicious.
7. Use tongs to pull out of oil and set onto a plate lined with paper towels to drain and cool 1 minutes.
8. Serve with ketchup, mustard or your favorite sauce.  

By cutting the hot dogs into smaller pieces (I cut mine in half), I was able to use a smaller pot and therefore less oil than if I needed room for full length hot dogs or including a stick.  

No comments:

Post a Comment