January 13, 2012

Beer Bread

This one is dangerous.  My dad sent me the recipe after he saw it in the Houston Chronicle in November. Here is the link I found, but its an easy one to google: http://www.chron.com/life/food/article/Kitchen-to-kitchen-Beer-Bread-2307013.php
Start to finish in 1 hour.  This is a great way to make a
simple dinner feel special.
I used Miller Lite since it was in the fridge and I didn't want to touch any of Kevin's 'good' beers.  Only change I made versus the link was to add an extra tablespoon of sugar.  Even though I served the bread with beef stew I wanted it a little sweeter to turn leftovers into breakfast toast and it was great both ways.  I say this recipe is dangerous because it will be ready to go before your oven finishes preheating and its incredibly addictive.  I've already made 2 batches this week, and have it on my menu for next week to go with my mussels steamed in white wine to soak up all the delicious sauce.  Now that I've corrected the issue of my pantry not stocking self rising flour I'm only an hour away from fresh bread at any given time.  I probably need to take up several calorie burning hobbies to offset this.

Do not use a whisk as pictured - it took longer to get all the
batter out of the whisk than to mix the batter.  Just use a spoon.  Trust me!

Recipe:

BEER BREAD
3 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
12 ounces beer
1/4 cup butter, melted

Batter took under 1 minute
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the flour, sugar and beer until blended.
Spoon into lightly greased 9-inch-by-5-inch loaf pan.
Bake for about 40 minutes. Pour melted butter over the top and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until done. (my oven needed the full 10 minutes)
Remove from pan after about 5-10 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment