January 22, 2012

Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake


This is what happens if you cut if before it cools
I had very good plans to make a savory dish this week.  In my fridge are ingredients for both balsamic glazed brussel sprouts (pioneer woman recipe) and shrimp jalapeno hush puppies (Pinterest).  However Wednesday night I succumbed to either bad allergies or a cold.  This weather can't decide if its winter or not and the result is killing my sinuses.  

So any elaborate cooking over the past few days has gone out the window.  We did however have some frozen blueberries left over from last summer and I found this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago, so here was my excuse for something quick and easy to make sure I still managed to get in a new recipe this week.

Here is the link to the recipe:
http://www.alexandracooks.com/2011/06/29/buttermilk-blueberry-breakfast-cake/

This one I made straight from the recipe and it turned out fine, nothing super special.  It would be good for a brunch, or a weekend breakfast, but not sweet enough to count as a dessert for me.  I will say the batter was incredibly thick, much more than I expected, but it came out very pretty.  I have adapted it below. 


 Ingredients:
½ cup unsalted butter softened
zest of 1 large lemon 
1 cup sugar, plus 1 tbs for topping
1 egg, room temperature
1 and 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. cinnamon2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350 and grease or coat a 9 inch pan.  
Cream butter, lemon zest and 1 cup sugar until fluffy.  Mix in egg and vanilla.  
Toss blueberries with 1/4 cup flour (this will help prevent them from sinking to the bottom).  
Mix the rest of the flour with the baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl.  
Add the flour to the butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating each one with buttermilk.  
Fold in the blueberries.
Pour the batter into the pan and top with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
Bake 35 minutes, testing with a toothpick - mine took longer.  Cool 15 minutes before serving.  

If like me you don't keep buttermilk on hand you can make it:  add 1 tablespoon vinegar OR fresh lemon juice to 1 cup milk, stir and let sit 5 minutes.  Done.  I usually put the vinegar in my measuring cup, then add the milk to get 1 cup for a precise measure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment